I have a bald spot.
It’s about the size of a quarter right on the crown of my head, although it feels way bigger than that to me. On God, you can land a plane in it 😫
I first found out about the Bald Spot™ through my sister. My scalp in the area had been itching like never before, and when I placed my fingers in the spot, it felt smooth. I suspected I had some sort of scar, so when I parted my hair for her to examine the area, the look in her eyes told me that I had it way worse than just a teeny tiny scar.
I set up an appointment with the doctor who promptly informed me that I had a condition called alopecia areata. Basically, it’s an autoimmune condition where your own body attacks your hair follicles. I’m just glad she didn’t tell me I had a deficiency or anything (I’ve been vegetarian for 2 years now and it’s probably the most annoying thing to hear, lol). It happens to otherwise healthy people and she set up an appointment for me to see a dermatologist who’s gonna give me a cortisone injection to allow for hair re-growth.
Which isn’t until JUNE 😭
So now that I have to live with this freaking Bald Spot™ (I cringe every time I say it, type it, or even think about it – ugh), I’ve had an even greater appreciation for my hair and I’ve realized the effect that having a full head of it has on my self esteem. For goodness sake, I receive a question along the lines of “Do you wear hair extensions?” on a daily basis! I’ve been looking after my hair like never before since the discovery of my Bald Spot™. I’ve been trying various treatments, oils, and conditioners to see what works best for me and since I always get asked about my hair, I decided to share it with you!
My April Hair Care Favourites!
1. Argan Oil of Morocco: I’ve been using this on my ends to repair and then I use the remaining product working upwards on my hair shaft. I make sure keep it away from my roots or even near my face to avoid breakouts.
2. Coconut Oil Treatment Mask: The treatment mask I’m currently using is L’Oreal’s Extraordinary Oil 1001 Uses Mask. They’re not kidding when they say it’s “1001 uses”. You can use it as a pre-shampoo treatment, in the shower, or as a leave-in! I usually use mine as a leave-in 🙂
3. Purple Conditioner: If you have colour treated hair like me, leave your purple conditioner in for an extra minute or so to delay toning treatments (and for extra softness, of course)!
A few other tips …
- Don’t style your hair with heat curlers or straighteners unless you really need to!
- Rinse your hair with cold water for extra shine! This tip wasn’t something I even did myself, despite knowing the effect it had on my hair. But now that it’s getting a little warmer out, and given my current situation, I’m sucking it up, haha.
This is a non-sponsored post. Read my disclosure policy here.